DL9MJ You don't need add every radio. There are two things:
1) HW - you need to be able to switch between UART TTL, UART TTL inverted, ICOM CIV (UART TTL on one wire) RS232, RS232 inverted. This cover probably connection of all old and new radios.
2) SW - protocols:
- ICOM - all radios have same protocol, only change of address and baudrate needed.
- YAESU - 2 formats in use:
CAT old binary format (for example FT-817, FT-857)
NEW ascii format all TRXs since 2008 (except FT-818 which use old binary)
- KENWOOD - same format for all radios, different HW connections
- FLEX - similar to KENWOOD
We need implement 5 protocols, but not completely, we just need know only frequency and mode from radio.
We don't need model specific functions.
I have implemented all of protocols. I started with radios which i have. ICOM and FT-817.
I hope, that i will have first version of SW soon, but all configuration (like baudrate, networking and so on) is in source code now.
It will be very basic version for start.
73 Ondra OK1CDJ